How to Cook a Perfect Steak in the Oven

Thursday, August 20, 2020


My husband LOVES steak. So, I have been trying out marinades, seasonings and cooking methods in order to cook “the perfect steak” or at least by my husband’s standards. (And he has pretty high standards!)


Because I’m still intimidated by the outdoor grills, (Sorry, outdoor grilling is a man thing in my mind!) I have been experimenting with cooking my steaks in the oven. It works really well! And especially if it’s cold outside — you don’t have to worry about going out in the cold to check on your meat. You don’t have to worry about your propane running out. You don’t have to hover and constantly keep an eye on it or turn it over. It’s great! If you can get over the steak not having those beautiful grilled marks, you’ll really like my “secrets” to the perfect steak!


What kind of steak should I get?

We buy grass-fed beef. I really like using a fresh ribeye that hasn’t been frozen. It’s soft to the touch and bright red. I let Ben pick out his steak. He usually goes with Nolan Ryan.


What should I cook the steak in?

I use a small glass casserole dish, ungreased. (I season everything in this one dish.)


How should I season the meat?

Here’s the key to the flavor: SEASONING (not marinade). It infuses the entire steak and you don’t have to plan ahead. I always forget to marinate anything ahead of time, but even when I have remembered, it has never changed the flavor that much to me.


Seasonings include:

  • salt
  • pepper
  • onion powder
  • paprika
  • garlic powder
  • basil


I didn’t put measurements here because I don’t even measure these! I’d rather not dirty up measuring spoons if I don’t have to. Just put the amount that you think you can handle of each spice. Ben loves pepper so I usually use a lot of that. I use a bunch of the garlic too because I love garlic. I just sprinkle a little of the basil and paprika.


Season BOTH sides of the meat. Before you flip over to season the other side, massage the seasonings into the steak and all along the edges as well. Don’t leave a spot uncovered!


Right before you stick your steak in the oven, put a big chunk of unsalted butter on the top of your steak. (I use 1/4 of a stick.) I love watching it melt as soon as I put it in the oven. So tasty!


What temperature do I cook my steak at?

If you’re cooking your steak in the oven, preheat oven to 425°. I am a little paranoid of uncooked meat, so I cook my steak at medium well, so that equates to 30-32 minutes in the oven. If you prefer your steak to have more pink, just cook it for less time! Use a meat thermometer for more accuracy in cooking.


Finishing Touches

When time is up, take the steak out of the oven, and let it sit for 5 minutes. This allows the juices to infiltrate the entire piece of meat. Then when you cut the steak, cut with the grain of the steak so that you get a clean cut with the perfect amount of flavor.


Quick Sides

  • After a busy day at work, sometimes I don’t want to spend a bunch of time in the kitchen. So I usually get frozen organic veggies that I can steam in the bag in the microwave. Any of these types of sides work great alongside steak.
  • If you’re a meat and potatoes person, bake your potatoes in the crockpot. Wash your potatoes with water, poke holes in them with a fork, then wrap with foil. Place in empty crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours that morning. They’ll be ready when your steak gets done!


Enjoy your tasty steak dinner! 🙂

Post a Comment

xosydnee © .